Instagram has become a popular social media platform over the years, with millions of users sharing photos and videos daily. However, there are times when you may want to delete your account (How to delete your Instagram account). Perhaps you want to take a break from social media or are concerned about your privacy. Whatever your reasons, it’s important to understand the process of deleting your Instagram account.
When you delete your account, everything associated with it will be permanently removed. This includes your profile, photos, videos, comments, likes, and followers. However, if you only want to take a break, you can temporarily deactivate your account instead.
Before deleting your account, it’s a good idea to log in and download a copy of your information, such as your photos and posts. You won’t have access to Instagram’s Data Download tool after your account has been deleted.
To permanently delete your account from Accounts Center, follow these steps:
- Click the menu icon (three horizontal lines) in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Click “Settings.”
- Click “Accounts Center,” then “Personal Details.”
- Click “Account Ownership and Control,” then “Deactivation or Deletion.”
- Select the account you want to delete.
- Click “Delete Account,” then “Continue.”
Note that you may not be able to delete your account from Accounts Center at this time.
If you prefer to request the permanent deletion of your account from your Instagram app, follow these steps:
- Go to the “Delete Your Account” page. If you’re not logged into Instagram on the web, you’ll be asked to log in first.
- Select an option from the dropdown menu below “Why do you want to delete [account name]?” and re-enter your password. The option to permanently delete your account will only appear after you’ve selected a reason from the menu and entered your password.
- Click “Delete [username].”
If you want to delete a different account, follow these additional steps:
- Click the username in the top-right corner of the “Delete Your Account” page.
- Click the “Edit Profile” button next to the username and select “Log Out.”
- Log back in as the account you want to delete and follow the above steps.
After you delete your account, you can sign up again with the same username or add it to another account as long as it hasn’t been taken by a new user. However, if your account was removed for violating Community Guidelines, you may not be able to sign up again with the same username.
In conclusion, deleting your Instagram account is a straightforward process that can be done through the app or Accounts Center. However, it’s important to understand that once you delete your account, everything associated with it will be permanently removed, and you won’t be able to retrieve it. So, make sure you download a copy of your information before deleting your account.