Nokia will soon be launching two new handsets the Nokia Lumia 820 and the Nokia Lumia 920. These new Lumia series will also be the first smartphones to come loaded with the Microsoft Windows Phone 8 OS.
Nokia Lumia 820
This smartphone weighs 160 grams with 9.9 mm thickness. The display screen is 4.3 inches supporting 16M colours. The screen is AMOLED with capacitive touch. Display resolution with Clear-Black technology is 800×480 pixels (217 ppi). This AMOLED screen helps save battery juice.
A 1GB RAM with 8GB internal storage should be quite convincing. This handset however will run on the Windows phone 8 operating system. Micro SD card support is also available.
Other key features of Nokia Lumia 820 are :-
- 4G, 3G, 2G , Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.1, NFC, GPS and microUSB.
- 8MP auto focus camera with dual LED flash and 1080p full HD recording at 30fps. There is a secondary front camera of VGA resolution.
- This handset is powered by 1.5GHz Dual core Krait processor (MSM8960) Qualcomm Snapdragon. This coupled with Adreno 225 GPU.
- A 1650 mAh battery (Li-ion) gives music playback time of up to 55 hours, standby time of over a week and talktime of 8 hours on a 3G network and up to 4 hours on 2G networks.
- Estimated price around Rs. 35,000. To hit the markets in Q4 (2012).
Nokia Lumia 920
The 920 sports a slighter bigger screen at 4.5 inches with a massive 1280×768 pixels resolution with 332 ppi. The screen is IPS capacitive with corning Gorilla Glass and puremotion HD+ display. There is 1GB RAM and a 32 GB internal storage with no microSD card support. This handset too runs on the Windows mobile 8 operating system. This is heavier than the 820 model with a weight of 185 grams and 10.7mm thickness.
Other key features of Nokia Lumia 920 are :-
- 4G, 3G, 2G, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth 3.1, micro USB and NFC.
- The secondary camera is of 1.3MP resolution and the primary camera at the rear comes with an 8MP resolution with LED flash, autofocus and 1080p recording @ 30fps.
- The processor is the same as used on the Nokia Lumia 820 i.e. MSM8960 Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset – 1.5 GHz Dual core Krait CPU + Adreno 225 GPU.
- Sensors: Compass, Gyro, Accelerometer and proximity.
- A 2000 mAh battery powers the Lumia 920 with standby time of over two weeks, talktime of 10 to 17 hours depending on 3G or 2G networks and music play of up to 67 hours.
- Expected price over Rs. 40K and expected launch in India in Q4 – 2012.
There was a time when customers in India would blindly buy a Nokia phone, however today Samsung and even low brands are making it difficult for Nokia to survive. Nokia mobiles have always kept away from Android OS and are depending on outdated Symbian or trying out the newest OS like the Windows 7 and the recent windows 8.
Android being the most popular OS, it may seem difficult to convince the users to switch to a Nokia phone with Windows phone 8 OS.
The specifications no doubt are impressive and the price tag may keep the budget conscious users away, but it is the Windows phone OS that will either make this handset a hit or break it. Only time will tell.