MediaTek today announced their first 4G enabled octa core chipset – the MediaTek MT6595. This chipset will be commercially made available by mid 2014. After the chipset is made available it will take few more months before manufacturers launch the 4G enabled octa core.
The MediaTek MT6595 makes use of 4 new cortex A17 processors coupled with 4 cortex A7 processors. The chipset will consume less power even when recording videos, moreover the MT6595 will be able to play 4K2K files (Ultra HD H.265 Codec Support).
At the press event Kevin Jou , CTO (Chief Technology Officer) mentioned that the MT6595 will compete with other high end chipsets and you can expect similar or better performance, but the key highlight will be the affordable price tag. This means that the octa core powered handsets with 4G support will not only be powerful but will be priced right, at least cheaper than its competitors.
MediaTek CorePilot 4G LTE MT6595 features
- 4x Cortext A17 + 4x Cortex A7 CPU’s.
- ARM big.Little architecture for sophisticated task efficiently.
- Coupled with PowerVR Series 6 GPU.
- 4G LTE support.
- Low power consumption (better battery life).
- H.265 Ultra HD (4K2K) video recording and playback support and Ultra HD video playback support for H.264 & VP9.
- ClearMotion technology incorporated for smoother videos @ 60fps and MiraVision technology for DTV grade picture quality.
- GPS with Multi GNSS including GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS and Beidou.
- Low powered Bluetooth.
- Camera – Up to 20MP.
- Screen resolution of up to 2560×1600 WQXGA.
In India there are very few handsets currently available that are powered by the octa core processors. Probably after June we might hear more about this MT6595 or may be see some in action.
Tip: Sahil Patni.