The Ministry of Civil Aviation (MOCA) and Digi Yatra Foundation have developed an app called DigiYatra, which simplifies the airport check-in process by making it paperless. With facial recognition technology, flyers can enter the airport with ease. The DigiYatra app is currently available at three airports – Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport, Delhi; Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport, Varanasi, and Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru. By March 2023, DigiYatra will be implemented at four more airports, namely Kolkata, Pune, Vijayawada, and Hyderabad.
To get started with DigiYatra, download the free app from PlayStore for Android phones or App Store for iOS phones. After downloading the app, link ID credentials using DigiLocker or offline Aadhaar and upload your photo. A DigiYatra ID will be generated, which must be shared when purchasing tickets. The departing airport will receive this ID and passenger data from the airlines.
To use DigiYatra at the airport, follow these steps:
- Download the DigiYatra App by Digi Yatra Foundation from Play Store (Android) or App Store (iOS) and register using your mobile number and OTP. (Aadhaar Linked Mobile Number)
- Link your Identity Credentials using DigiLocker or Offline Aadhaar. (XML file to be uploaded for Offline Aadhaar)
- Take a selfie picture when prompted and upload it onto the app.
- Update your Boarding Pass on the DigiYatra App and share it with the departure airport.
- At departure, scan your boarding pass on the DigiYatra E-Gate and look into the camera to get your face scanned. The E-Gate will open to let you enter the terminal.
- At the pre-security DigiYatra E-Gate, walk up to the gate, look into the camera, and after validation, the E-Gate will open. Proceed towards your boarding gate.
- At the boarding gate, look into the biometric camera and proceed towards the aircraft post-system validation.
With DigiYatra, the airport check-in process becomes hassle-free and convenient.