As per the Annual Budget the excise duty has been increased and now at 6% on handsets that are priced over Rs. 2000. So get ready to pay more if you are planning to buy a smartphone.

Having said that the excise duty is applicable for companies manufacturing the handset in India, like Samsung and Nokia. It will not affect companies that import handsets like Lava, Micromax, Spice etc to name a few. Well as you all know most of the phones are manufactured (in china), rebranded and then exported to India (which will attract import duty in India).

Such companies need to pay the import duty which remains unchanged and hence the prices of such handsets will be the same. This is definitely bad news for brands that are manufacturing the handsets.

The Excise duty on mobiles was just 1% before and now increased by 5%, total 6%. The handsets that are priced under Rs. 2000 will not attract the duty. I guess most of the users are looking for low cost brands like Micromax and some Chinese players who are eagerly waiting to set their base in India.

With bigger brands getting pricy, we will find more and more users shifting to other brands.

Update : The company that are importing the handsets from China that are re-branded and then sold in India will also need to pay the excise duty.  So in call the prices are going to increase.

Comments (53)

  1. Avinash Korde
    Posted on October 8, 2013
  2. Devendra
    Posted on June 27, 2013
    • Gogi Rana
      Posted on June 27, 2013
  3. indubhushan
    Posted on June 15, 2013
  4. chintoo rana
    Posted on April 1, 2013
  5. wangsa
    Posted on March 4, 2013
  6. abhi
    Posted on March 1, 2013
  7. aj
    Posted on March 1, 2013
    • Omkar
      Posted on March 2, 2013
  8. Omkar
    Posted on March 1, 2013
  9. rana ji
    Posted on March 1, 2013
    • XKVNZR
      Posted on March 1, 2013
  10. XKVNZR
    Posted on March 1, 2013
  11. Akash
    Posted on February 28, 2013
    • Akash
      Posted on February 28, 2013
  12. Shahin
    Posted on February 28, 2013
    • Dharmesh Rana
      Posted on February 28, 2013
  13. Kousik
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  14. sahil
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  15. raju
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  16. santosh shirke
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  17. SIZ
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  18. SelvanK
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  19. divya
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  20. Prashant
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  21. sai
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  22. sandip
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  23. Vijay
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  24. AN¡LKeraLa
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  25. Pardeep
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  26. Nilesh
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  27. ANIMESH
    Posted on February 28, 2013
    • gogi
      Posted on March 7, 2013
  28. Shafeeq
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  29. Arun
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  30. ujjwal
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  31. yash.khatri3297
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  32. Amit
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  33. Anir
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  34. nikhil
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  35. balaji
    Posted on February 28, 2013
    • gogi
      Posted on February 28, 2013
      • Robin
        Posted on February 28, 2013
  36. balaji
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  37. Ashish
    Posted on February 28, 2013
    • gogi
      Posted on February 28, 2013
      • Sudip
        Posted on February 28, 2013
  38. vicky
    Posted on February 28, 2013
    • mahmood
      Posted on February 28, 2013
  39. Ashish
    Posted on February 28, 2013
  40. Leo
    Posted on February 28, 2013
    • Dharmesh Rana
      Posted on February 28, 2013

Give a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.