Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Moto G dual SIM handset in India came much faster than anticipated. The update is now available via OTA (Over the Air). File size is 230MB and it takes about 5 to 7 minutes to update after the file is downloaded.
Before you update make sure to keep the battery level over 50%, better still if it’s over 75%. You can check the Moto G with Android 4.3 review here.
Here is a brief Moto G review after the KitKat update
- The data / apps that you have installed are retained, nothing is lost.
- The user interface is the same you will hardly notice any difference before and after the update.
- OTG is supported and you get a notification too. And when you use a file manager app you do get the USBDISK option. With Android 4.3 we never got the notification and one had to navigate into multiple folders to access the pendrive content. Well on KitKat OTG works out of the box. You can copy data from Phone onto the Pendrive using OTG.
- Camera interface is the same, nothing new. Camera quality seems a little better. The HDR if set in auto mode (camera will shoot in HDR when applicable) improves the picture quality.
- I have not used the handset much after the KitKat update, but battery backup looks good almost as on Jelly Bean 4.3.
- Performance is near about the same as experienced with Android 4.3.
- GPS lock is fast as it was before (almost instant and works indoors too).
- Internal storage is 5.52GB and of the 1GB RAM available free RAM is 429MB free.
|With Android 4.3||With Android 4.4|
|Quadrant Standard – 8673||Quadrant Standard – 8688|
|AnTuTu – 17194||AnTuTu – 17275|
|Vellamo – HTML5 1937, Metal 522||Vellamo – HTML5 1270, Metal 528|
|Nenamark 2 – 56.9 fps||Nenamark 2 – 58 fps|
As for gaming all the games that played on the 4.3 will work on the 4.4 version too. If you have noticed the FPS is a little better on with KitKat 4.4.2 Strange that Vellamo HTML5 is lower but other benchmarks are close enough.
Go ahead and get the update done. It also makes sense as future Motorola updates/ fixes will be on the Android 4.4. OTG works and your data / apps are retained (but it would be better to take a backup just in case). Camera quality seems to have improved.
Moto G is available on Flipkart.