HCL has launched a low cost tablet with voice call feature. You can use this tablet for making and receiving voice calls just like on a phone. The tab is priced at Rs. 7,789 and comes with built in 2G SIM slot.
The HCL ME V1 will compete with the Micromax Funbook talk. Now before you jump with excitement regarding the HCL tab with voice call, do note that the built in SIM slot supports only the 2G network. You can use this as a phone and also surf using GPRS and EDGE networks.
Built in 3G support is not available, however you can connect an external 3G dongle and avail the 3G facility just like you would do on any other tab without SIM slot.
The ME V1 is powered by a cortex A8 processor clocked at 1GHz with Next Generation Processor I GC430 3D GPU. This tab sports a 7 inch screen with 800×480 pixels resolution and sails on ICS OS (Android 4.0.4).
The tab houses 1GB RAM (DDR3) with 4Gigs of internal storage. There are dual camera a front 0.3MP and rear 2MP and interestingly with LED flash. The ME V1 can play 1080p movies. I am not sure if you get full access to Google play so you need to confirm this.
Other features are Wi-Fi, 2G SIM slot, external 3G support, Bluetooth 3.0 and micro USB. This tab also comes with proximity sensor (need confirmation) along with Gsensors. A 3200 mAh Li-po battery powers this tab. For the price this does seem like a good buy, its single core but with voice call and some features that are missing on other (similar) tabs.
HCL ME V1 key features and specifications
- Single core 1GHz cortex A8 CPU with I GC430 3D GPU.
- ICS OS Version 4.0.4.
- 1GB DDR3 RAM, 4GB internal storage and micro SD slot to add up to 32GB storage.
- 7 inch capacitive touchscreen with 800×480 pixels resolution.
- 2MP rear camera with LED flash and 0.3MP front camera.
- Built in 2G SIM slot with GSM voice calling, external 3G dongle supported, Bluetooth 3.0, Wi-Fi, full HD playback, micro USB and 3.5mm jack.
- Sensors – Gsensor and Proximity sensor.
- 3200 mAh Li-Po battery.
- Price Rs. 7,789 available on infibeam.