With WordPress version 2.6 a new feature called revision post was introduced. The revision post is a kind of a backup system that automatically saves copies of the pages or post just like a draft. In simple words if you edit a post or a page say 5 times there will be 5 copies of the post or page in the WordPress database.
Revision Post Good or Bad?
Revision Post is a good option and come really handy in certain cases. However this feature can increase the number of draft posts or pages in a WordPress database which may never be used.
Furthermore too many records in a database will increase database size, server load and query fetch time will also increase. Overall your site becomes slow.
At first you may never notice a problem but as the number of posts increases you will start seeing problems. Ideally with revision post enabled you may have twice the number of records that you actually use. For example if you have 200 posts there may be about 400 plus revision entries in your database.
How do I manage Revision Post in WordPress
There are two ways you can do it. Either you disabled the revision post or install a plugin that will help you delete redundant revisions with ease.
Disable Revisions Plugin for WordPress
This plugin will disable the Revision feature and also delete all draft entries. Before you proceed make sure you take a back up of your database.
How to Install Disable Revisions Plugin for WordPress
- Download Disable Revisions plugin.
- Backup your database.
- Upload the directory disable-revisions into the WordPress plugin folder.
- Activate the plugin and that’s it.
Better Delete Revision Plugin for WordPress
The other option is to keep the Revision post feature enabled and use a plugin called Better Delete Revision that will help check revision posts and you can easily remove duplicate revisions with a single click. Scheduled, draft and currently published posts are never touched by this plugin. So all your important data is safe.
How to install Better Delete Revision Plugin for WordPress
- Download Better Delete Revision.
- Upload the folder better-delete-revision into the WordPress plugin folder.
- Activate the plugin.
- From Settings menu find the Better Delete revision link, click it and you will land on a page with option to optimise your database and to check revision posts. Click Revision posts button and you will see all the redundant post with an option to remove them.
Subscribe Now and get Free updates
Direct to your Email (Daily Digest or as and when a new post is added) or via RSS.