Many people use Gmail which is linked with Gtalk. Here is a great plugin for WordPress called the Custom Google Talk Chatback plugin which will add Gmail chat functionality on your website which you can use as an online chat based support system.
Google Talk Chatback features
- You can customize start chat link along with an offline text. Image of text can be used.
- You can customize what to display when the user is offline or online.
- This plugin supports Short code, template tag and widget.
How to install Google Talk Chatback plugin
- Download the Google Talk Chatback plugin for WordPress.
- Unzip and upload the directory custom-google-talk-chatback onto your WordPress plugin directory.
- Activate the plugin from the plugin menu and then add the widget, use template tag in your theme or insert short code directly when editing using the WYSIWYG editor.
This is as far as the plugin installation is concerned. There is more to it. To access your Google Talk account and get the functionality in your site you need to get the Google Talk Hash Key ID. The id is string containing numbers and characters attached to variable tk.
How to Create a Google Talk chatback badge
Login to your Google Gmail account and visit http://www.google.com/talk/service/badge/New
You will see the iframe code at the bottom of the screen. It will have the tk=ID. You need to use this ID in the plugin settings.
How to use Google Talk chatback Widget
Simply drag the widget where you want it to be placed preferably in the sidebar.
Google Talk chatback Short Code instructions
[gtalk hash="" link="" offline=""] Prints a link to start chat or a text message if offline
[gtalk_online hash=""] [/gtalk_online] Content inside shortcode will only be displayed if user is online
[gtalk_offline hash=""] [/gtalk_offline] Content inside shortcode will only be displayed if user is offline
Google Talk chatback Template Tag
<?php gtalk_status( $hash ) ?>
will return 1 if online and 0 if offline
<?php gtalk_link( $hash, $link ) ?>
Will Returns a link to start chat
Here is how the output will be.
By (Updated: April 20, 2013)
Subscribe Now and get Free updates
Direct to your Email (Daily Digest or as and when a new post is added) or via RSS.