Sony Xperia ZR has taken the smartphone to the next level, underwater. The water proof ZR handset, now officially announced, can shoot images and record videos in full HD, underwater. The release date or the pricing details are not yet unveiled.
The Xperia ZR comes powered by 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 pro chipset with Adreno 320 GPU. This smartphone runs on the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS with 2GB RAM and 8GB internal storage. The touchscreen is 4.6 inches with 1280×720 pixels resolution.
The camera with Sony EXMOR RS sensor is of 13 megapixel resolution with LED support. There is also a front VGA camera. Other features are 4G, 3G, Wi-Fi, GPS, NFC and Bluetooth. You can record full HD videos underwater up to 5 feet for not more than 30 minutes.
The ZR is 10mm thick, weight is about 140 grams and comes with a non removable battery of 2330 mAh capacity.
Sony Xperia ZR key features and specifications
- Single SIM (micro SIM).
- Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 quad core processor clocked at 1.5GHz coupled with Adreno 320 GPU.
- 4.6 inch HD screen with 1280×720 pixels resolution.
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. (Upgradable to 4.2).
- 2GB RAM, 8GB internal storage and micro SD slot (32GB).
- 13MP rear auto focus camera with Exmor RS sensors with LED flash + front VGA camera. Can record full HD video.
- Waterproof capabilities: IP55/IP58 certified.
- 4G/3G/2G, Wi-Fi (a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 4.0, GPS with A-GPS, NFC, micro USB (MHL) and 3.5mm audio jack.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, light, magnetic, gyro and proximity.
- Non-Removable 2330 mAh Li-ion battery.
Sony has also uploaded a video highlighting the underwater capabilities.